Session Title: DER deployment for sustainability: Solutions in technology, market and cyber domains
Time: 3:40 PM – 5:10 PM on February 3, 2021
The distributed energy resources (DERs) and smart grid technologies are fast evolving. These technologies include electric vehicles, battery storage, wind farms, photovoltaic panels, etc. High penetration levels of these technologies bring about new advantages to customers, e.g., cost efficiency, clean energy generation and reliability enhancement provided by the controllability of these technologies and the opportunity to develop different transactive energy-based platforms such as peer-to-peer energy trading, local energy markets and participation in wholesale electricity markets.
That being said, the power grids with high penetration of smart grid technologies may encounter new challenges demanding for novel solutions. Such challenges include, but not limited to, cyber threats, power grid protection and proper operation frameworks. At this plenary session, the esteemed panelists will discuss and elaborate on the novel solutions to leverage DERs for sustainability.
- Dr. Anurag Srivastava (Associate Professor – Washington State University)
- Dr. Alex Papalexopoulos (CEO & Chairman – ZOME Energy Networks, Inc.)
- Dr. Farrokh Rahimi (VP of Market Design and Consulting – Open Access Technology International, Inc. (OATI))
- Dr. Robby Simpson (System Architect – GE Grid Solutions)
- Dr. Sri Nikhil Gourisetti (Cyber Systems Team Lead – Pacific Northwest National Lab)